TD Bank Director and Managing Counsel, US Bank Regulatory in Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Director and Managing Counsel, US Bank Regulatory
About TD Bank, America's Most Convenient Bank®
TD Bank, America's Most Convenient Bank, is one of the 10 largest banks in the U.S., providing more than 8 million customers with a full range of retail, small business and commercial banking products and services at approximately 1,300 convenient locations throughout the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Metro D.C., the Carolinas and Florida. In addition, TD Bank and its subsidiaries offer customized private banking and wealth management services through TD Wealth®, and vehicle financing and dealer commercial services through TD Auto Finance. TD Bank is headquartered in Cherry Hill, N.J. To learn more, visit www.tdbank.com. Find TD Bank on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TDBank and on Twitter at www.twitter.com/TDBank_US .
TD Bank, America's Most Convenient Bank, is a member of TD Bank Group and a subsidiary of The Toronto-Dominion Bank of Toronto, Canada, a top 10 financial services company in North America. The Toronto-Dominion Bank trades on the New York and Toronto stock exchanges under the ticker symbol "TD". To learn more, visit www.td.com .
Auto req ID:
The Director & Managing Counsel, U.S. Regulatory will lead the U.S. Bank Regulatory team reporting to the General Counsel. The U.S. Regulatory team provides legal advice and support to TD's U.S. Corporate and Control functions on prudential bank regulation, applications and approvals, investments, AML/OFAC compliance, and related regulatory matters.
• Provides exceptional, strategic legal advice.
o Works closely with General Counsel, department attorneys and external legal counsel on specific legal issues related to the Company's business
o Volunteers expert advice and experience
o Verifies the information has been understood
o Advises lines of business on best practices that help minimize legal and litigation risk
o Anticipates client needs
o Deals with complex legal issues and thinks strategically about regulatory matters. Anticipates and prepares for developing legal and regulatory issues
o Clearly delivers difficult messages without jeopardizing client relationships
o Gives pragmatic legal opinions with reasons and rationale
o Provides advice in ambiguous situations; identifies and prevents future legal risks
o Identifies and takes action on future opportunities
o Resolves most situations where conflicts arise between the needs and desires of specific business units and the interests of the Company without requiring intervention of more senior attorneys
• Participates in TD's advocacy efforts in the US and expands awareness of our activities throughout the organization including the SET, US CEOs and US BOD.
o Builds and develops external contacts and relationships with legislators, regulators, trade groups and peer banks
o Participates in-person as much as possible in trade group conferences, committee meetings and internal meetings to raise profile. budget to allow for more in person attendance.
• Commits to developing, managing, and mentoring talent and acts as a leader in the Legal Department.
o Manages lawyers in the U.S. Bank Regulatory team, assigning responsibilities, evaluating results, and developing talent
o May manage paralegal and administrative staff, assigning responsibilities, evaluating results, and developing talent
o Provides leadership, coaching, counseling and guidance to direct reports and others
o Gives practical support and assistance to contemporaries, junior attorneys and staff
o Serves in one or more permanent or ad hoc practice groups or cross-practice teams of attorneys and staff
o Supervises external counsel providing advice or other legal services of the Company
o Assists in the management of expenditures for external counsel
o May assist General Counsel in developing and managing departmental budget for both internal and external legal spend
o Participates in special projects and performs additional duties as required
• Demonstrates highest professional ethical and behavioral standards and complies with all applicable Bar Rules and Codes of Professional Responsibility, and corporate ethical and behavioral standards
• Provides legal counsel and support to the Bank and its U.S. affiliates on prudential regulatory matters.
• Monitors relevant legislation, regulation, and supervisory guidance; assesses impact to the Bank; and partners with relevant Control Functions and business partners to coordinate Bank responses and/or implementation strategies
• Leads the US Legal Bank Regulatory team.
At TD, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customers and communities in which we live in and serve, and creating an environment where every employee has the opportunity to reach their potential.
If you are a candidate with a disability and need an accommodation to complete the application process, email the TD Bank US Workplace Accommodations Program at USWAPTDO@td.com . Include your full name, best way to reach you, and the accommodation needed to assist you with the application process.
EOE/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Education & Experience
• Bachelors degree required
• J.D. from an Accredited Law School required
• 10+ Years of related experience
• Strong knowledge of at least one area of law relating to banking/financial services operations and issues
• Integrity and high moral standards
• Strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills
• Strong legal and analysis skills
• Detail oriented
• Must be able to apply legal knowledge to the business
• Ability to exercise sound judgment
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Effective people manager
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Strong teamwork and client skills
• Highly motivated
• Ability to provide difficult, complex and unwelcomed legal advice credibly and convincingly to management
• Strong technology aptitude including i) proficiency with standard office software and ability to learn and apply new technologies in work environment and ii) capacity to understand current and emerging technologies in the industry and how they affect business objectives
• Ability to identify problems and barriers, and effectively implement solutions to advance business strategy
• Operates with creativity and innovation; seeks different perspectives and new ideas
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple deadlines and priorities
• Understands the value of knowledge management, builds and supports systems and tools that efficiently connect people to the knowledge they need to do their job
• Substantial knowledge and depth of experience in laws and regulations relating to prudential regulation of bank holding companies, IDIs and their subsidiaries
• Familiarity with the Volcker Rule, Reg Y, Reg YY, Reg W, permissible activities and investments for national banks
• Must be eligible for employment under regulatory standards applicable to the position.
1701 Route 70 East
Job Category - Primary:
Legal Services / Counsel
Legal Services / Counsel
Federal law prohibits job discrimination based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, age, equal pay, disability and genetic information.